"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding!" Kahlil Gibran.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Pink Flower Cafe.

"Sis, you must help me. This just needs to be done tonight. but I would be away for dinner at a friend's. Oh, please please, you just have to help me out with this"
I made a frantic phone call to my sister.
She was willing to help, of course, but "what is it actually?" she asked calmly.
"See, it's nothing. You just have to log in my Facebook profile, I ll give you my password. Then go to Cafe world and when my Pink Flower cafe opens, just click on one of the stoves where one particular recipe is cooking since yesterday. It takes one full day to cook. It would be ready at exactly 10.41pm. All you have to do is just click the stove when the recipe is ready so that it gets placed on my serving counter to be served to the customers...ok???" I was anxious.

"What????, Are you crazy?" my sister blurted out.
"Please please," I pleaded, almost anticipating her shocked reaction, "if you don't do it at exactly 10.41pm, the dish will go off after some time."
"So? it's only a game...I mean, come on..." my sister could not believe my anxiety over a virtual dish getting spoilt.
"NO no no, but I have spent cafe coins to make the dish. It will be a waste. I need to earn more coins to buy additional furniture in my cafe. Also, I need money to decorate it."
"Ufff...are you nuts? You are wasting your time." my sister concluded.
"Will you do it or no?" I asked.
"I may go out myself for dinner with in laws. In that case I won't be able to do the needful but other wise I ll do it on my laptop at home." now it was she who shocked me.
"What? You won't be at home? Oh no! what do I do now?" I was genuinely restless.
"Come off it, ok?" with a sisterly remark, she hung up.

I had to look for someone else to do this simple job for me. I thought of all my friends who could have helped me. I even thought of my mother but then I immediately brushed the thought off my mind because that would mean lot of training right from switching on my laptop, then the internet wifi, etc etc.
Then I remembered my friend from Pune who is also my cafe friend.
"Yes, she would understand me," with a ray of hope, I called my friend in Pune, explained to her my difficulty and told her authoritatively to do the job.
With a mild laughter, she apologized to me saying that her internet connection was not working at home.
But she definitely understood my feelings...she was a virtual cafe owner herself.
"Don't worry dear, your dish won't go off for a few hours because it took one day to cook. It will stay fresh till morning. so don't you worry. Serve it in the morning"
"Oh, that's great. I did not know this." I was joyous.
"and one more thing, if at all your dish goes off, your cafe neighbour can "unspoil" it." she added with a command.
Totally relieved from my anxiety, I thanked her for the most valuable information she provided.

As soon as I returned from dinner that night, I logged in my cafe world and served my dish.

"This is not a work of fiction. All the characters in the story are real and it will not be coincidental if they resemble many of you."

It's my story and whether you believe it or not, it's true.
I know this may sound foolish to many but I get immense joy from spending some time at my cafe. It gives me satisfaction of actually owning a cafe where I take all the decisions of earning and spending and buying and cooking. I feel happy when I see facebook friends visiting my cafe and having food and coffee.
I am sure, many of you are addicted to similar virtual games. If you are an object of ridicule for being a virtual reality addict thereby wasting some of your valuable time, just ignore it.
The time spent in reviving the mind, can not be time wasted.
As long as some activity gives you joy and it does not get out of your control, enjoy it.

Though at your own risk, I would like to say,"Welcome to the world of virtual reality!"






8 comments:

  1. Hahahaha...I know how it is. These games/applications make you an addict but surely a good fun! I had to struggle a lot to come out from 'Farmville' and after that I decided not to play any such game, so I understand your concerns.

    But the fun is I am one of the guys working or developing such games as it gives me my bread and butter, and I only trying to pull out of such games. Gammat na!

    There is one more funny thing about one game that my team is developing, which is - currently we are working on one game/application for which you have also worked in one of the commercials. We are actually hoping to complete entire project by Sept second week, and then its upto the clients to make the game live....lets see.

    But yeah, as usual kudos to your writing, and the way you tell the story. Can we see a good story book from you in near future?

    - Kaustubh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amusing. And educative for an outsider like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. part I:

    We were hyperactive and super mischievous kids: 2 brothers always on the fringe of war, sometimes mildly menacing and sometimes brutally physical.

    Our dad was managing his new startup, and Mom was left with the thankless task of managing her job, our home, and taking care of 2 fanatic militants.
    I was 10, and dad was just on his second trip abroad.

    While departing, he asked me and Nixx (my brother) what we wanted from Germany.
    “Double Screen Video Game!” – we immediately replied in a rare and spontaneously connective moment.

    We were dying to get our hands on one. Our rich Gujju Neighbors kids all had a single screen video game, which they showed us, but never allowed us to play with. Playing was always by barter, one game exchanged for another, and we had to be content watching other kids play.
    Just before he flew home, we spoke with Dad asking him if he had got us our gift. “If Mom tells me that you have studied well and not troubled her, you will get it” Dad replied.
    On hearing those words, our spirits were sunk. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get a “good behavior certificate” from Mom. But, we decided to try hard to repair the damage.

    That evening, we came up early from our galli cricket, said our prayers proactively, and quietly sat down with our study books thrust in front of our faces. We ate without fuss, laid our own beds out, and even helped Mom clear the dinner table.

    Of course, Mom guessed what our “good behavior act” was about, but she kept a very straight face.

    We had a long fantasy oriented discussion on what type of video game dad could have got us and came up with countless exotic possibilities… we probably dreamt of
    Dad flew in early Saturday morning, but left his brief case in the living room, which doubled as our bedroom.

    Normally, it would be a challenge to wake us up for school, but that day we had set the alarm for 6 a.m.

    We quietly tracked the key to Dad’s travel case and a short but frantic search yielded the most sought after box in our lives… Donkey Kong…
    (We were handling Shigeru Miyamoto’s timeless master piece, “Donkey Kong” changed Nintendo’s fortunes.)

    Little did we realize then, the sociological change this mighty video game would cause:

    a) As anticipated, our social hierarchy with our galli friends reversed. We extorted unfair barter terms for our exclusive double screen game. These terms were bettered, when a few months later we received our triple screen video game “Treasure Hunt”.

    b) Our cricket play time was condensed by half an hour each day. We were allowed 15 minutes each for a video game of our choice, AFTER we completed our homework. Very reluctantly we began to comply with required school work regularly!

    c) Mom achieved peace of mind at long lost. Our Video Games in her custody allowed her to wield superhuman power, which kept our antics in check – though only in her physical presence…
    Men never stop playing with toys, it is only the gadgets that graduate with time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chan lihites Sharvari~ :)
    I can totally realte to that... why do u think Farmville is so famous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, again nice and interesting writeup. Thanks for sharing and defending your love towards this addiction.
    I personally would never play such games but there's nothing wrong in doing things one likes (provided its not hurting anyone).

    and yes.. new theme of ur blog is beautiful though ironic with ur blog-title.

    nJoy..

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahahahaha.....that's awesome...am too in love with virtual games, but not to this extent... :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Nicely written. Even I was once addicted to FB games and just like u, even wrote a blog on it.

    But now am Happy to declare myself as 'Non addict'. It took lots of efforts, like joining a ’व्यसन मुक्ती केद्र’. Kidding! All i did was went 4 treks and cut off myself frm FB

    Keep Writing.

    ReplyDelete