"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding!" Kahlil Gibran.

Friday, April 27, 2012

On the eve of.....part II......

and it so happened...

Precisely on 1st October last year, I found myself at the Prithvi Theatre to meet Mr. Manav Kaul of Aranya Theatres with a reference from my dearest friend Geetanjali. I was not sure at all if I wanted to do an experimental play and that too in Hindi...but I thought of giving it a shot. Stepping into a new territory, leaving your ages old comfort zone can make you unsettled.
When I was watching the rehearsal of Mumtazbhai Patangwale at the Prithvi House, I felt as if I have been here before. That atmosphere seemed familiar, it took me years back to my Ruparel College Gymkhana Hall where we rehearsed with Chetan Datar.
The energy and positivity of this group felt like a breath of fresh air.
and there I was...an active member of Aranya group and a part of the cast of LAAL PENCIL, the newest production of Aranya written and directed by Manav Kaul.

The first show of Laal Pencil at the Prithvi Theatre was magical.

I had jumped into the unknown and a treasure of pure joy was revealed to me. I am so happy that Geetanjali introduced me to Aranya.

While I was struggling to improve my hindi pronunciation by trying to get rid of the marathi accent, I was thrilled to get an offer for a commercial marathi play "Never Mind" written by Dr. Vivek Bele and to be directed by the young and enthusiastic Nipun Dharmadhikari....I could not have asked for more.

"Never Mind" opened just after "Laal Pencil" in December 2011.
40 shows old Never Mind is well received by the audience but it takes lot of efforts to attract the young crowd to the theatre. The Facebook has helped in reaching more youngsters....but the attendance is not satisfactory.

In March 2012, I also became a part of a grand show called " Mi Yashwant" which was based on the life of first Chief Minister of Maharashtra Late Shri. Yashwantrao Chavan. I played his wife Venutai, first time in my career I portrayed a real life person. The show was grand and it was performed in the presence of the President of India and other political leaders of Maharashtra.

This April, just a couple of weeks before my birthday, I became a team member of REACT, UK, a company which trains theatre actors to use their skills in the corporate world.  A concept which has been practiced in the US and UK since 80's but is at a very nascent stage in India. Being an MBA myself, I was happy to combine my acting skill with the management background. There may be more projects coming up with REACT.


Today, my friend Kadambari took me out for a film...and then we both had lunch...
My very old friend from my Management college, Suresh, called me from Nairobi to wish me. He knew my landline no. by heart....(we did not have mobiles then and so we used to know telephone no.s by heart...gone are the days though...) A call from Suresh was unbelievable. I can't imagine how he remembered my landline no and my birthday..... I am touched.

I have spoken to all my close friends in the US....and Sanjali just called...last call of the day...with her voice in my mind, I guess I should sleep well.....

Friends who want to be with you on your happy day and a family that always cushions you .. that is all one needs .....to be content!


With red and brown streaks in my hair (my birthday gift to myself..and please don't be scared..they aren't too prominent :) ) I am entering the new age....the new year...
I wish the red colour stays...on my hair and in my life as well... (whatever that means.... )

I hope I have grown up by a year and "grown out" of sulking because my family took me to dinner to a place that was not my choice.... :)

I wish myself a delightful year ahead with a bunch of new people that have been added to my life this year....(all the old ones remaining constant, of course)!







1 comment:

  1. A very belated happy birthday and may the new year be equally satisfying for you.

    ReplyDelete