"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding!" Kahlil Gibran.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A blanket from grandma!

Taraaji, my mother's aunt, called from Pune. "Aga, did you use the blanket I sent for you?". "Oh, I got it but its not yet too cold here to use it." I told her.

My grandma had sewn a soft mauve coloured blanket for me out of her old cotton saree. It was warm n lovely.

That night I made it a point to use the blanket. In my small make shift room, under fan at its full speed, I slept curled under that warm blanket. It was a peaceful sleep.

They say, babies should be wrapped in soft blankets made out of their grandmother's sarees or such soft material because it transmits grandparent's love and affection to the baby and the toddler sleeps peacefully.

Wow! lucky little bundles! They get love from everyone and always. They are loved when they cry, when they open their eyes, when they smile, when they move, when they babble. They get all the attention and affection no matter what they do.


Now, just have a look at our lives! We, adults, face this breathtakingly competitive world out there. Education, career, job and the insecurity that comes with it.

Every day a new challenge to face! and in a metro city like Mumbai, the commuting too creates challenge and tests our patience.


The care n comfort we got as kids has now almost disappeared. Obviously, there are expectations and hopes that we would grow into successful individuals and lead a smooth life. Of course, we are not kids anymore!



We strive hard and do our best to go ahead in life and make our parents proud of our achivements. and at the end of the day,.....all we need to get a good, peaceful sleep so that we can dream and getup fresh for a long sunny day is....
A Blanket, blessed with love n care, FROM GRANDMA!!!

5 comments:

  1. Memories for grandparents are always so cherished....nice one

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved it...reminded me of my grandma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "आतून" लिहिल्यासारखे वाटतंय!! खूप छान! ब्लॆंकेट म्हणजे "चौघडी" ना?? खरं सांगू का? पोस्ट छानच झालंय, तुझ्या भावना पण थेट पोचतायत पण ते जर मराठीत असतं तर त्यात आजीच्या चौघडीची मायेची ऊब जाणवली असती :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kaku's and Aaji's 'GODHADI's are my most priced possessions. 20 and more years ago were they sewn. And they are still the same. They have been made out of Kaku's and Aaji's sarees.

    To convey the ideas in your mind, Language that you use can not be a barrier ever. So, please continue posting!

    My kaku would jokingly ask me (when young) the spelling of GODHADi and I would everytime. always reply to her " G O DHADI Y!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ameya..thanks for sharing ur memory..cute.

    ReplyDelete