"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding!" Kahlil Gibran.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Nili - The Stranger!

Today morning, I went for an ad. audition ( I go almost everyday :)). Waiting for the audition to start, along with me, was a beautiful lady who I had never seen before at auditions. She was fair, tall with shoulder length streaked hair, wearing a white lakhanavi kurti n jeans, ( well, kurti n jeans was the dress code for the audition!) and little makeup....and her beautiful pink nailpolish! It caught my attention. Very nicely manicured nails and that pale but pleasant pink nailpolish! "This nail colour won't suit everyone", I thought to myself. I was reading a book till then but somehow I continued observing her. She was carrying a white purse, was wearing silver stilettos and again the same pink nail polish on toes!

She asked me if the audition had started. I said "not yet" and took that opportunity to compliment her.
"Your nail polish is suiting you very well", I said.
"Thanks" came the reply.
"Which shade is it?"
" Umm..its from Israel."
"You are from Israel?"
"My dad is Jewish and my mom a Jain".
Oh, so I had met a girl with a unique combination of parents.
"Your name?" " Nili" came the reply.
Just then, I was called in for audition and there ended our conversation.

Nili - isn't it a beautiful name? I wish I had asked her the meaning and if this was a Hebrew name.

I left the place saying Bye to her, but kept wondering how a simple, odd question about the nail colour led to an interesting information about her origin. If I had just asked her name, she would have said "Nili" and I would have still liked it but that would have probably been the end of the conversation.

That day became really special after meeting the pleasant Jewish girl, Nili - who to me till then, was - a complete stranger!!!

5 comments:

  1. hi sharu,
    howru? refreshing article...with a nice title - and Nili - nice name...means success!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I must say you are one lucky girl... next time go for auditions... take me along... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice chain of thought! Would Like to read something more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nili word comes from old testament and its a kind of Hebrew short for 'Long live Israel'
    [Of course this is hearsay, never checked against testament]

    ReplyDelete
  5. छान!! सुंदर लिहिलंय!!

    ReplyDelete